Project SHOUT is a national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide. I have always been aware of how dangerous carbon monoxide is and we have always had a alarm in our kitchen. What I didn't know was just how fast it can kill, Carbon monoxide deprives the body of oxygen. Oxygen starvation initially leaves you with flu like symptoms but can deadly within minutes as well as causing long term organ damage and disease. When we were asked to spread the word about project SHOUT I jumped at the chance. Project Shout want to make people aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poising, and also the importance of regular maintenance on all fuel-burning appliances such as gas cookers, gas grills and boilers.
When we first moved into our little flat, we were full of excitement, our first little home as a new family of three. Little did I know the problems that lay ahead of us. We have gas central heating and a boiler, I had a carbon monoxide alarm, and I am so glad we did. We had a lot of problems with the boiler, it literally had a mind of its own. After having several parts replaced and thinking it was all ok, my carbon monoxide alarm went off. I called my landlord, and national grid who came and turned off my gas supply until our boiler was sorted out properly. The boiler got condemned and then eventually we got a new one. If I didn't have a alarm I would have never knew. You cannot see carbon monoxide, there is no colour, taste or small. It is invisible to the human senses.
Every year in the UK, over 200 people are hospitalised with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 50 deaths. If you ever suspect that carbon monoxide may be affecting you or your family, open all the windows and doors to ventilate your property, turn off all the appliances and evacuate the building and call the national gas emergency service on 0800 111 999.
*We were sent a carbon monoside monitor in a project SHOUT goodie box, all opinions are our own.*