This week we decided to make Rainbow cookies, these have a orange taste to them, and they are super easy to make. Emily really enjoyed the dough when it was rolled into balls.
175g softened butter
50g golden caster sugar
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
300g plain flour
How to make them?
- Pre-heat the oven too 180°
- Mix the butter, sugars, egg yolks and vanilla essence until creamy.
- Add the flour into the mixture in two batches, and then add the orange zest.
- Roll the dough into small balls, about the size of walnuts.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Emily absolutely loved lining up the balls of dough on the baking sheet. Although she kept trying to pat them down. She showed more interest in this baking activity than last week with the cupcakes. Once we had baked the cookies, I dipped the cookies half way in icing, and then covered them in sprinkles. Emily was more interested in dipping the biscuit and then eating it rather than dipping it into the sprinkles.
For the icing
140g icing sugar
Orange juice (squeezed from the orange)
- Mix the icing sugar with enough of the orange juice to make it a thick, runny icing.
- Dip each cookie into the icing, and then straight into the sprinkles.
- Leave the dry on a rack.